"Heather Poole MFA grad explores poetry as bridge across boundaries"
December 18, 2012
Heather Poole is graduating with a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (Poetry). What does it mean to be humans and how do we interconnect with each other and the world around us?
These are the questions that inspire Heather Poole, as she graduates with a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Creative Writing (Poetry) from the Department of English in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
"I believe the arts and beauty are essential to the soul of life and psyche as a bridge across boundaries, that unite, inspire and allow us greater communication and understanding with one another,” says Poole. “Art assists in developing constructive situations and equitable solutions for all to benefit in positive ways by listening to and honoring the voice of each person.”
A collection of poems – Fledglings of Anani – are Poole’s master’s thesis, a project that encountered unexpected delays due to life events.
“After completion of my course-work I was unable to return to ASU for several years,” she says. “I helped with illnesses and death which took me away from school. Yet this time enriched my life and the work I am now writing would not have been possible without these experiences.”
Fledglings of Anani, completed in the last year at ASU, embraces the complexity, tenderness and vitality of life, says Poole.
“The subject is beauty. Beauty is harmony and an essential ingredient to the individual’s psyche as well as the growth and expansion of community and society. To recondition the mind to its primordial intelligence and our thoughts toward presence.”
“My hope is that Fledglings of Anani uplifts, nourishes and expands the readers’ thoughts to embrace the depth and subtle connections between self, people, places, and inter-relationships, and appreciate how these bonds, often of the seeming ordinary, give substance and meaning to our lives.”
Poole received a Graduate Fellowship to support the impressive quality of her work. “The graduate fellowship enabled me to focus on the work and give it full attention in order to bring it to completion and that was invaluable. Being supported artistically to develop ones craft is deeply appreciated and on multiple levels a dream come true and what, as artists, helps the us fly.” says Poole.
When she first arrived at ASU, says Poole, “I did not know I was entering into a program with such generous teacher/artists, students and renowned writers and some of the best poets of our time.” In addition to the kinship and sense of community the writing department engendered, she experienced an unwavering dedication in the teachers who helped her and each student develop their voice and vision to their highest potential.
“Graduation is a day of deep appreciation for everyone who has been part of my life-family and friends, and a part of this, from my mentors, my department, and to students and all who are a part of ASU, – for I could not have done this without the aid of so many people, and basically everyone I have ever known and met-they are all living through me...”
After graduation, Poole intends to keep creating "art that explores life; our interconnectedness to nature, each other and to the world in the spirit of beauty, peace, and the joy that is life itself.”
“Art is available to everyone. It is both humbling and majestic. There is no ‘wrong’ art, and I would like to see others utilize it as a tool of empowerment for themselves and for society, as a channel to support reflective dialogues, open minds, extend our boundaries and allow humanity to grow in concrete ways that benefit the soul of the world.”
-Michele St George
Reflections from others:
- "Heather has an eye for beauty of the human soul and detail. She brings that gift to her work as a photographer and painter. Her work captures that thing you missed and it moves you." K. Dunver, Hawai'i, client
- "There is a depth and tranquility in her art that touches me and also a powerful energy that infuses Heather and her work." M. Allen, client
- "Heather paints with words, transforms them into something authentic and touching. The spirit of adventure and joy come through in her writing and photos." Rae Spring, client
- "When I first looked at Heather's landscapes it made my brain go quiet and peaceful. I never saw anything like this before." from Landscape & Phenomen, Sedona, AZ
- "We are enchanted by your spoken word and the amazing art." AJ & Pete Steinberg, CA clients
- “I had this incredible meeting with Heather, this incredible ancient soul. The words of wisdom resonated through my being and chimed the universal truth of being. I felt validated, loved beyond what anyone ever has done for me. A truth from a soul that was as pure and soulful as can be. A profound impact in just a few moments of true and unbridled sharing of the heart and soul. Soul to soul human to human as pure and unedited as it gets." Monik, Sedona, AZ